Written by Steve Hudgik
There are many categories of safety supplies. Safety supplies can be PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) such as hard hats, hearing protection, glasses and gloves. Safety supplies can be first aid and medical supplies. In this case we're talking about safety supplies that involve communicating about safety hazards.
Supplies For Safety and Hazard Communication
These types of safety supplies include labels, signs and tags, and the printers and labeling supplies used to make them. In creating safety labels, signs and tags there are three objectives:
- They must be code compliant. This includes being compliant with OSHA, ANSI, NFPA, CGA and other standards and codes.
- They must clearly communicate their safety message. This means they must include the appropriate text that concisely identifies the hazard and provides any additional needed information. Clearly communicate also means including safety symbols and pictograms that quickly deliver the safety message. Clear communication also means that the label, sign or tag must be easily visible. It must be large enough to be seen and read from a safe distance. (At times extra large labels or signs are used to draw attention.) The label, sign or tag must also use the appropriate colors to attract attention and communicate the appropriate safety message.
- They must be durable. A failed safety sign isn't there to provide the needed warning, and that means someone may get hurt. Safety signs, labels and tags that fall off, tear, chip, fade or fail in any other way are not working as they should.
Safety Supplies For Lockout/Tagout (LO/TO)
"Lockout/Tagout (LOTO)" refers to specific practices and procedures to safeguard employees from the unexpected energization or start-up of machinery and equipment, or the release of hazardous energy during service or maintenance activities.
Improper LO/TO or the lack of LO/TO is one of the top ten most often cited violations of OSHA standards. Two factors are key to having a successful and safe LO/TO program:
- Having the right supplies for proper Lockout/Tagout is critical. Workers can't use LO/TO supplies that are not available.
- Everyone must be trained in LO/TO so they know when and how to use LO/TO, and what to do when they encounter a device that is locked out and tagged out.
There is one brand of sign and label printers that provides all of this and more... DuraLabel.
DuraLabel printers make code compliant safety signs, labels and tags that clearly communicate their message. DuraLabel printers come with large symbols and templates libraries that make creating clear, code compliant labels, signs and tags fast and easy.
One of DuraLabel's top goals is to make labeling supplies that are durable.
- DuraTag tag stock is so tough that it makes tags that can be hung without grommets.
- DuraLabel vinyl is the only vinyl labeling tape that comes with a five year warranty on the labels and signs you make.
- The DuraLabel Test Labs exist to ensure DuraLabel supplies are Tough Tested to ensure long life.
- DuraLabel R&D, engineering and QA are all focused on creating long-life products that deliver exceptional value to our customers
With DuraLabel you get fast, rugged, easy-to-use printers, and long-lasting supplies. Call 1-888-326-9244 today and ask about the special DuraLabel OSHA safety sign and label kits. You'll be glad you did.
Graphic Products is a leading source of LO/TO safety supplies.